Transit visas are issued to foreigners who will pass through South Africa enroute to its neighboring countries.
Immigration Directive No. 28 of 2015: Transit Visas
11 January 2016
This immigration Directive serves to inform all officials that the Minister of Home Affairs exempted travelers transiting through the following international airports from transit visas in terms of section 10B(4)(a) of the Immigration Act, 2002:
- OR Tambo International;
- Cape Town International;
- King Shaka; and
Travelers transiting these airports must be subjected to biometric capturing.
Deportees transiting must be in possession of transit visas and at all times be escorted, failing which, they must be returned to the airline that conveyed them for removal from the Republic.
Traveles utilizing land ports of entry to transit through South Africa should apply for Port of Entry Visas.
Important Information on Applying for South African Visas
Effective 10 May 2015, applicants for visas will be required to apply in person at the South African mission. No appointment necessary.
Checklist of Documents to be Submitted:
- Passports/travel document valid for at least 30 more days after departure from South Africa; The passport (including travel/emergency travel documents) must have: at least two (2) unused (blank) pages labeled Visa when presented at the Embassy or Consulate; one page for affixing the visa or permit by the embassy/consulate and the other page for endorsement of entry/departure stamp by the South African Immigration Services.
- Visa application form (DHA-84) Note: Under Permanent Residential Address, please state the address in the United States where you reside.
- Two (2) passport photos with white or light background
- Onward flight Itinerary
- Proof of legal status for non-U.S citizens e.g. copy of greencard, H1B, F1, J1 etc.
- Non-refundable US$36.00 processing fee in money order.
- Attention New York Applicants: The South African Consulate General in New York will no longer accept prepaid envelope/labels from FedEx and UPS with immediate effect. Applicants are welcome to enclose only USPS self-addressed, pre-paid courier envelope for this office to facilitate return services.
- Processing time is 5 to 10 business days.
- Where to submit your application