South African citizens and permanent residents, 16 years and older, must be in possession of an identity document. Persons applying for their South African ID book for the first time must submit applications through the nearest Department of Home Affairs in South Africa. South African embassies and consulates can only process applications for re-issuance.
Checklist of Documents to be Submitted:
- Form DHA-9, Application for ID document. DHA-9 form is not available for downloading. Please send a self-addressed stamped envelope with a request to receive this form.
- Two (2) recent photographs; head and shoulder measuring 40 mm x 30 mm with applicant's name and ID number written on the reverse side
- Certified copy of applicant's old ID Book or birth certificate
- Copy of Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree or Spouse's Death Certificate, if applicable.
- Written request to change "Surname". To be submitted by recently married female applicants who would like:
1) to retain their maiden surnames, or
2) wish to use double–barrel surnames;
- Attention New York Applicants: The South African Consulate General in New York will no longer accept prepaid envelope/labels from FedEx and UPS with immediate effect. Applicants are welcome to enclose only USPS self-addressed, pre-paid courier envelope for this office to facilitate return services.
- Fees and processing time
- Where to submit your application