1. Please complete the form – Application to Import Animals into South Africa in full for each animal you wish to import and send it with the R60.00 fee or proof of payment of the fee to the following address:
The Director of Animal Health
Private Bag X138
or fax it to : 011 – 27-12-329-8292
Telephone numbers: 011 – 27-12-319-7514
011 – 27-12-319-7515
011 – 27-12-319-7428
2. An amount of R60.00 must be deposited into the bank account of the Department of Agriculture for each animal you wish to import. This may be done in one of the following ways.
a. If you have a South African Bank account a check for R60.00 can be made out to the Director General of Agriculture and sent with the application to the above address; or
b. R60.00 can be deposited into the Department of Agriculture’s bank account by means of a credit transfer from any commercial bank in the USA. The bank particulars are:
S A Reserve Bank – Account Number : 8033-212-9
Branch Code : 910145
Any transfer fees payable to the bank must be paid in addition to the R60.00 fee.
A copy of the deposit slip (stamped by the bank) should then be sent with the application form to the above address.
c. As members of the public have been experiencing problems when transferring the fee of R60.00 to South Africa arrangements have been made for an amount of $12.00 to be sent to the South African Consulate in New York to pay for the import fee.
NO PERSONAL CHECKS WILL BE ACCEPTED. The money can only be paid in cash or by postal money order. All personal checks will immediately be returned.
A receipt for $12.00 will be issued and sent to you by the South African Consulate. You should then send this official receipt and your application form to the Department of Animal Health in Pretoria.
We have been informed that applicants may fax a copy of the official receipt, together with the application form, to Mrs. I. Labuschagne at the Department of Animal Health, her fax number is (+27 12 329 8292). Such an application will be accepted and processed.
3. The Veterinary Import permit and Veterinary Health Certificate will be sent to you directly from South Africa.
4. If the Veterinary Health Certificate does not comply with the regulations the animal/animals will be returned to their point of departure or will be placed in quarantine for a period of 60 days, if accommodation is available.
Remember: Import permits are valid for a limited period only.
5. The following documents are required:
*The original veterinary import permit issued by the Directorate of Animal Health in South Africa.
*The original “Veterinary Health certificate in respect of dogs or cats for export to the Republic of South Africa”. This documentshould be completed in English and signed, within 10 days of departure, by a Government veterinarian authorized thereto by the Veterinary Administration of the United States.
Please contact Dr. Huntly (State Veterinarian) in Albany at (518) 457-3502 or the USDA Vet at Kennedy Airport at (718) 553-1727 for more information.
*A valid rabies certificate obtained at least 30 days prior to your departure. This certificate should not have been obtained more than 12 months or less than 30 days prior to exporting. The vaccine used must be a strain of anti-rabies conforming to a potency standard recognized by the World Health Organization.
6. Please note that it is a condition of the import permit that dogs/cats imported into South Africa should be booked as “manifested cargo” and NOT as “excess baggage”.
7. The following helpful information was received from the South African Airways regarding the transportation of pets:
*Livestock enters South Africa as manifested cargo in the temperature-controlled hold of the aircraft. Cabin stowage is not permitted. Dogs and cats must be older than 8 weeks.
*As available space could be a problem you are advised to book well in advance when transporting pets.
*Contact the Airline you are using to find out what their specific requirements are.
8. The Director of Animal Health Sub-directorate Import-Export Control in Pretoria would be able to assist you should there be any further information required.