Important Information on Applying for South African Visas
Effective 10 May 2015, applicants for visas will be required to apply in person at the South African mission.
Checklist of Documents to be Submitted:
- Valid passport with at least two (2) unused (blank) pages labeled Visa when presented at the Embassy or Consulate; one page for affixing the visa or permit by the embassy/consulate and the other page for endorsement of entry/departure stamp by the South African Immigration Services. Passport must be valid for 30 more days after the intended return date from South Africa
- Prescribed form (DHA-84) Note: Under Permanent Residential Address, please state the address in the United States where you reside.
- Two (2) passport photos with white or light background
- Round trip flight itinerary
- Proof of sufficient means in the form of bank statement / letter of undertaking from the Company
- Proof of legal status for non-U.S. citizens (copy of greencard, H1B, J1 etc)
- Proof of accommodation (confirmed hotel reservation)
- Non-refundable fee of $36.00 money order for processing
- Letter from the U.S.A.employer/ organization stating purpose, duration of stay in South Africa
- Letter of invitation from the South African Company/ Organization confirming purpose and duration of visit.
- purpose or necessity of the work
- nature of the work
- duration of the work
- place of work
- duration of the visit
- proof of remuneration or stipend that the foreigner will receive from the employer, and
- identity and contact details of the prospective employer or relevant contact person from the host institution
- Yellow fever certificate is required if applicant is passing through yellow fever belt area before entering South Africa.
- Processing time is 5 business days and it may take up to 10 days during peak season
- Where to submit your application