General Work Permit
This is a kind of work permit issued to predetermined number of employees needed in a particular occupational category determined by the Minister.
Important Information on Applying for South African Visas
Effective 10 May 2015, applicants for visas will be required to apply in person at the South African mission. The mailing fee is only for returning of passport/visa to the applicant.
Checklist of Documents to be Submitted:
- Valid passport with at least two (2) unused (blank) visa pages when presented at the Embassy or Consulate; one page for affixing the visa or permit by the embassy/consulate and the other page for endorsement of entry/departure stamp by the South African Immigration Services. Passport must be valid for 30 more days after the intended return date from South Africa
- Fees payable to the appropriate South African representative office
- A duly completed application form (DHA-1738) signed by applicant
- Medical Report BI-811
- Radiological Report BI-806
- FBI certificate (full criminal background check report) and police clearance certificate from all countries applicant lived in since age 18 for one year or longer.
- A vaccination certificate, if required;
- Proof of financial means in the forms of (Bank statements, Salary advices);
- The employer shall ensure that the passport of his or her employee is valid at all times for the duration of his or her employment
- An application for a general work visa shall be accompanied by a certificate from the Department of Labour confirming that
- the applicant has qualifications or proven skills and experience in line with the job offer;
- despite a diligent search, the prospective employer has been unable to find a suitable citizen or permanent resident with qualifications or skills and experience equivalent to those of the applicant;
- the salary and benefits of the applicant are not inferior to the average salary and benefits of citizens or permanent residents occupying similar positions in the Republic;
- The contract of employment stipulating the conditions of employment and signed by both the employer and the applicant is in line with the labor standards in the Republic and is made conditional upon the general work visa being approved;
- full particulars of the employer, including, where applicable, proof of registration of the business with the Commisison on the Intellectual Property and Companies (CPC)
- Undertaking (commitment) by the South African host;
- proof of qualifications evaluated by SAQA and translated by a sworn translator into one of the official languages of the Republic;
- a confirmation, in writing, from the professional body, council or board recognised by SAQA, or any relevant government Department confirming the skills or qualifications of the applicant and appropriate post qualification experience;
- Bursaries (grant awarded as part of a financial assistance package);
- Medical coverage;
- Cash available, including credit cards or travellers’ checks to cover expenses related to the visit;
- Marriage and birth certificate
- Applicants traveling by air must be in possession of round trip tickets, or proof of sufficient funds or lodge a cash deposit of equivalent value to such a ticket;
- Statement and/or documentation confirming the purpose and duration of visit.
- An undertaking to notify the Department when such foreigner is no longer employed or is employed in a different capacity or role.
- Proof of at least 5 years relevant work experience
- A general work visa shall be issued for a period not exceeding five years
Note: A quota work permit shall lapse if, within 9 months of its issuance, and within every year thereafter, its holder fails to submit to the Department certification from his or her employer's chartered accountant that he or she is still employed, of the terms and conditions of his or her employment including the job description, and that such employer has made the payment for training fee.