This is a kind of a permit issued to a foreigner conducting activities in South Africa in terms of an international agreement to which South Africa is a party.
Important Information on Applying for South African Visas
Effective 10 May 2015, applicants for visas will be required to apply in person at the South African mission. No appointment necessary.
Documents to be submitted:
- A duly completed application form (DHA-1738) signed by applicant
- Passport valid for no less than 30 days after the expiry of intended visit
- Two (2) passport photos
- Letter from Fulbright (organ of state) attesting to the purpose and duration
- Letter from the institution in South Africa confirming applicant’s assignment.
- Nature and duration of the programme
- Participation of the foreigner in the specified programme
- Type of activities the foreigner is expected to perform and the duration thereof
- Accommodation of the foreigner
- Round trip flight itinerary
- Proof of medical report (physical) by a physician
- Proof of radiological report (chest X-ray) or skin TB test
- FBI certificate (full criminal background check report) and police clearance certificate from all countries applicant lived in since age 18 for one year or longer.
- Non-refundable fee of $36.00 money order for processing
- Proof of U.S. legal status (copy of green card, H1B etc) if not U.S. citizen
- Attention New York Applicants: The South African Consulate General in New York will no longer accept prepaid envelope/labels from FedEx and UPS with immediate effect. Applicants are welcome to enclose only USPS self-addressed, pre-paid courier envelope for this office to facilitate return services.
- Processing time is 5 business days, it may take up to 10 days during peak season.