This is a kind of a permit issued to foreigners intending to take up studies in South Africa.
Checklist of Documents to be Submitted:
- A duly completed application form (BI-1738) signed by applicant
- Passport valid for no less than 30 days upon completion of studies
- Two (2) passport photos
- Notarized copy of birth certificate
- Proof of medical report (physical test by your physician)
- Radiological report (chest X-Ray) or skin TB test
- Police clearance certificate (criminal background check) from all countries the applicant has lived in since age 18 for one year or longer.
- Proof of health coverage (health insurance)
- Roundtrip flight itinerary
- An official letter from the institution in South Africa confirming acceptance and duration of the course
- An official letter of enrolment from the institution of learning concerned in the U.S. if applicable.
- Proof of financial means in the form of bank statement and notarized letter from the parents stating the financial responsibility.
- In case of a minor, a notarized letter of consent from the parent is required.
- Proof of U.S. legal status (I-20 for F1 visa holders, copy of green card etc).
- Non-refundable fee of $72.00 money order for processing
- A repatriation deposit of $1,500.00 money order in case of applicants travelling on one way ticket
- Processing time is 5 business days, during peak season it may take up to
10 business days.
Attention: South African Consulate General in New York Applicants ONLY:
- $16.00 money order for overnight mailing.