This is a permit issued to relatives/spouses of South African citizens or residents intending to move to South Africa with an intention of taking up permanent residence.
Important Information on Applying for South African Visas
Effective 10 May 2015, applicants for visas will be required to apply in person at the South African mission. No appointment necessary.
Checklist of Documents to be Submitted:
- A duly completed application form (DHA-1738) signed by applicant
- Passport valid for no less than 30 days after the expiry of intended visit
- Two (2) passport photos
- Medical report (physical)
- Radiological report (chest X-ray) or skin TB test
- FBI certificate (full criminal background check report) and police clearance certificate from all countries applicant lived in since age 18 for one year or longer.
- Flight itinerary
- Proof of financial means (bank statement)
- Proof of South African citizen/Permanent residence of relative in RSA in the form of an identity document and passport
- Proof of kinship, within the second step, between the applicant and the citizen or permanent resident as contemplated in section 18(1) of the Act in the form of:
- an unabridged certificate, and
- where necessary, paternity test results
- Proof of a minimum amount of R8,500.00 per month per person, which shall not apply in the case of a spouse of dependent minor of a South African citizen/permanent residence holder.
- No fee is required from spouses/ dependent of a South African citizen
- Proof of U.S. legal status (copy of green card) if not U.S. citizen
- Attention New York Applicants: The South African Consulate General in New York will no longer accept prepaid envelope/labels from FedEx and UPS with immediate effect. Applicants are welcome to enclose only USPS self-addressed, pre-paid courier envelope for this office to facilitate return services.
- Processing time is 5 business days, it may take up to 10 days during peak season