This is a permit issued to relatives/spouses of South African citizens or residents intending to move to South Africa with an intention of taking up permanent residence.
Checklist of Documents to be Submitted:
- A duly completed application form (BI-1738) signed by applicant
- Passport valid for no less than 30 days after the expiry of intended visit
- Two (2) passport photos
- Medical report (physical)
- Radiological report (chest X-ray) or skin TB test
- Police clearance certificate (criminal background check) from all countries applicant lived in since age 18 for one year or longer
- Flight itinerary
- Proof of financial means (bank statement)
- Proof of South African citizen/Permanent residence of relative in RSA in the form of an identity document and passport
- Proof of kinship, within the second step, between the applicant and the citizen or permanent resident as contemplated in section 18(1) of the Act in the form of:
- an unabridged certificate, and
- where necessary, paternity test results
- Proof of a minimum amount of R5,000.00 per month per person, which shall not apply in the case of a spouse of dependent minor of a South African citizen/permanent residence holder.
- No fee is required from spouses/ dependent of a South African citizen
- Proof of U.S. legal status (copy of green card) if not U.S. citizen
- Processing time is 5 business days, it may take up to 10 days during peak season
Attention: South African Consulate General in New York Applicants ONLY:
- $16.00 money order for overnight mailing.