Critical Skills Work Permits
This is a permit issued to applicants in possession of exceptional skills or qualifications that are scarce in South Africa.
Important Information on Applying for South African Visas
Effective 10 May 2015, applicants for visas will be required to apply in person at the South African mission. No appointment necessary.
Checklist of Documents to be Submitted:
- A duly completed application (BI-1738) signed by applicant
- Passport valid for no less than 30 days after expiry of intended visit
- Two (2) passport photos
- Medical report (physical)
- Radiological report (chest X-ray) or skin TB test
- FBI certificate (full criminal background check report) and police clearance certificate from all countries applicant lived in since age 18 for one year or longer.
- Flight itinerary
- Non-refundable fee of $127.00 money order.
- Proof of U.S. legal status (copy of green card) if not U.S. citizen
- Proof of financial means in the form of bank statement
- All requirements if spouse and children wish to accompany applicant
- A letter from U.S or South African organ of State, or from an established South African academic, cultural or business body, confirming the applicant’s exceptional skills or qualifications
- Testimonials from previous employers, if applicable, and a comprehensive resumé
- Proof to substantiate exceptional skills or qualifications, such as publications and testimonials.
- A letter of motivation indicating that the exceptional skills posessed by the applicant will be to the benefit of the South African environment in which he/she intends to operate.
- a confirmation, in writing, from the professional body, council or board recognised by SAQA, or any relevant government Department confirming the skills or qualifications of the applicant and appropriate post qualification experience;
- proof of evaluation of the foreign qualification by SAQA and translated by a sworn translator into one of the official languages of the Republic.
- Attention New York Applicants: The South African Consulate General in New York will no longer accept prepaid envelope/labels from FedEx and UPS with immediate effect. Applicants are welcome to enclose only USPS self-addressed, pre-paid courier envelope for this office to facilitate return services.
A spouse and dependent children of a holder of a critical skills work visa shall be issued with an appropriate visa valid for a period not exceeding the period of validity of the applicant's critical skills work visa.