Important Information on Applying for South African Visas
Effective 10 May 2015, applicants for visas will be required to apply in person at the South African mission. No appointment necessary.
Checklist of Documents to be Submitted:
- Valid passport with at least two (2) unused (blank) pages labeled Visa when presented at the Embassy or Consulate; one page for affixing the visa or permit by the embassy/consulate and the other page for endorsement of entry/departure stamp by the South African Immigration Services. Passport must be valid for 30 more days after the intended return date from South Africa.
- Prescribed form DHA 1738 Form 8 Note: In the permanent residential address, please state the address in the United States where you reside.
- Two (2) passport photos with white or light background
- Roundtrip flight itinerary
- Proof of sufficient means in the form of bank statement for own maintenance
- Proof of U.S. legal status for non-U.S. citizens (copy of greencard, etc)
- Medical report (physical)
- Radiological report (chest X-ray)
- Proof of health coverage whilst in South Africa
- FBI certificate (full criminal background check report) and police clearance certificate from all countries applicant lived in since age 18 for one year or longer.
- Non-refundable fee of $36.00 money order for processing
- Letter of invitation from the host Organization in South Africa stating purpose and duration of stay
- Letter from the U.S. Organization taking financial responsibility, and undertaking to return applicant upon completion of assignment if applicant is sent by Church organization/ Mission. This letter should also specify purpose and duration of stay in South Africa.
- Attention New York Applicants: The South African Consulate General in New York will no longer accept prepaid envelope/labels from FedEx and UPS with immediate effect. Applicants are welcome to enclose only USPS self-addressed, pre-paid courier envelope for this office to facilitate return services.
- Processing time is 5 to 10 business days.
- Where to submit your application