Visa for Voluntary or Charitable Activities - Up to 3 years
Checklist of Documents to be Submitted:
- Machine readable valid passport with at least two (2) unused (blank) pages labeled Visa when presented at the Embassy or Consulate; one page for affixing the visa or permit by the embassy/consulate and the other page for endorsement of entry/departure stamp by the South African Immigration Services. Passport must be valid for 30 more days after the intended return date from South Africa
- A duly completed Visa application form DHA-84 signed by applicant
Note: Under Permanent Residential Address, please state the address in the United States where you reside.
- Two (2) passport photos with white or light background
- Proof of sufficient means in the form of recent three months bank statement stamped by bank for own maintenance for the duration of stay
- Notarized copy of proof of U.S. legal status for non-U.S. citizens (Certified/notarized copy of greencard, H1B, F1, J1, etc.)
- Certified/notarized copy of bio page of the applicant's passport
- Proof of registration of the host organization
- Medical report on a prescribed form (physical)
- Radiological report on a prescribed form (chest X-ray)
- Proof of health coverage whilst in South Africa
- FBI certificate (full criminal background report) and original Police Clearance certificate issued by the police or security authority in each country where the relevant applicant resided for 12 months or longer after attaining age of 18 years, in respect of criminal records or the character of that applicant. The certificate shall not be older than six months at the time of its submission.
- Where the application is for the attendace of an acitivity or event, include a letter from the organization under whose control the activity or event will take place, confirming such attendance and whether or not the foreigner will be remunerated, and if remunerated, the amount of remuneration.
- Non-refundable fee of $36.00 money order for processing
- Letter of invitation from the host Organization in South Africa stating purpose and duration of stay
- Letter from the U.S. Organization taking financial responsibility, and undertaking to return applicant upon completion of assignment if applicant is sent by Church organization/ Mission. This letter should also specify purpose and duration of stay in South Africa.
- Attention New York Applicants: The South African Consulate General in New York will no longer accept prepaid envelope/labels from FedEx and UPS with immediate effect. Applicants are welcome to enclose only US Postal Service self-addressed, pre-paid courier envelope for this office to facilitate return services.
- Processing time is 5 to 10 business days.
- Where to submit your application