Persons born abroad to South African parents may avail of South African citizenship by descent through birth registration.
Checklist of Documents to be Submitted:
- Form DHA 24, Notice of Birth
Section F: To be completed and signed by the South African parent of child being registered. If both parents are South African citizens, the father must complete and sign this part.
DHA 24 is a barcoded form. If application is to be mailed into this office please request for this form ahead of time by sending in a request with a prepaid self addressed stamp envelope.
- Form BI 529, Determination of Citizenship Applicant and South African parent must complete this form. If both parents are South African citizens, each must complete this form.
- An original or notarized copy of the child's foreign birth certificate.
- An original or notarized copy of the parent's marriage certificate.
- An original or notarized copies of the South African parent's proof of South African citizenship e.g. birth certificate, identity document or valid passport.
- Notarized letter from the non South African parent or South African mother of child being registered, confirming his/her consent for the child’s birth to be registered in South Africa.
Birth registrations are processed and finalized in South Africa therefore requires a processing period of 4 months.
As soon as the application is finalized an abridged birth certificate will be mailed to the applicant. Upon receipt of the abridged birth certificate, the applicant may apply for his/her passport and full birth certificate.
Please note that children born abroad and whose births have been registered in South Africa are automatically allowed to maintain dual citizenship.