Persons born abroad to South African parents may avail of South African citizenship by descent through birth registration.
Checklist of Documents to be Submitted:
- Form DHA 24, Notice of Birth
Section F: To be completed and signed by the South African parent of child being registered. If both parents are South African citizens, the father must complete and sign this part.
DHA 24 is a barcoded form. If application is to be mailed into this office please request for this form ahead of time by sending in a request with a prepaid self addressed stamp envelope.
- Form BI 529, Determination of Citizenship Applicant and South African parent must complete this form. If both parents are South African citizens, each must complete this form.
- An original or notarized copy of the child's foreign birth certificate.
- An original or notarized copy of the parent's marriage certificate.
- An original or notarized copies of the South African parent's proof of South African citizenship e.g. birth certificate, identity document or valid passport.
- Notarized letter from the non South African parent or South African mother of child being registered, confirming his/her consent for the child’s birth to be registered in South Africa.
Birth registrations are processed and finalized in South Africa therefore requires a processing period of 4 months.
As soon as the application is finalized an abridged birth certificate will be mailed to the applicant. Upon receipt of the abridged birth certificate, the applicant may apply for his/her passport and full birth certificate.
Please note that children born abroad and whose births have been registered in South Africa are automatically allowed to maintain dual citizenship.
New York applicants only:
- Please include $5.00 mailing fee in money order made payable to the South African Consulate General, New York. No personal checks will be accepted.