New York Celebrates Nelson Mandela
Nelson Mandela International Day of Service:
A Day of Peace, Health and Wellness
Friday, 18 July 2014, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Boys and Girls High School
1700 Fulton Street, Brooklyn, NY 11233
South African Citrus Adds Color & Hope to Nelson Mandela International Day
Harlem Mandela Day
Join Senator Bill Perkins and Imbizo H.C.
Friday, 18 July 2014, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Adam Clayton Powell Building
163 West 125th Street
New York, NY 10027
Featuring Congressman Charles Rangel,
South African Struggle Veteran, Dr. Boji Jordan and Moli Ntuli
Performances by SAHAVO, Brown House with Vuyo Sotashe, Tuelo Minah, Tanyaradzwa, Sduduzo Ka-Mbili and more.
Footsteps of Mandela Musical Tribute
Friday, 18 July 2014, 7:00 pm
490 Riverside Drive at West 121st Street
New York City
to benefit the Nelson Mandela Foundation
and the "Nothing But Nets" Program
of Simon Estes Foundation/United Nations Foundation
Footsteps of Mandela will be shot live in high-definition audio/video and streamed around the world. The concert includes narration, video/photo montages, and original, soul-stirring music from:
- Stan Satlin’s acclaimed Auratorio Americana, a large-scale production with 100 voices
- Joel A. Martin’s Requiem for Peace, a full choral orchestration based on Dr. Maya Angelou's poem "Caged Bird"
- Welcome Msomi's Drums of the World, a powerful heartbeat of drums sounding out for world peace
Special Guest Performing Artists:
- Legendary opera singer Simon Estes and
- Tony Award-winning Broadway actress Liz Callaway
- South African women's a capella group Thokoza
For more information and to buy tickets please visit http://www.footstepsofmandela.org/.